PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engines ratings and takeoff performance
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 11:31
LeCoyote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engines ratings and takeoff performance

Hello there,

I am currently investigating the (vast) topic of takeoff and climb performance in airliners, and I am looking for some information regarding thrust settings during the initial part of the climb. This is an ATCO speaking, so if you spot any inconsistencies in what I think I know, please bear with me and don't hesitate to correct me !

I have read up about derated and flex/assumed temperature takeoffs. I understand that the selected climb thrust, while usually lower than the TO thrust, might be higher sometimes (derated takeoff but imposed climb on the SID for example). I know that jet engines produce less thrust as the air gets thinner (higher or hotter). Now I need some glue to make all these pieces of information fit together :-)
  • If an engine is rated for 27K lbs @ ISA+15, does that mean that, barring all reduced-thrust considerations, a TOGA takeoff will use those 27K at up to ISA+15 & sea level, or are there other restrictions? [Status : Not answered, but I assume this is correct]
  • What is the most common limiting factor for a derated/flex takeoff? I have a feeling it has to be runway length, with higher V-speeds implying longer TODR and ASDR, but that's mere intuition. [Status: not anwered yet]
  • Where can I find information about the maximum climb thrust for a given engine? So far I have only found maximum takeoff thrust and maximum cruise thrust at 35'000ft for example (this from the CFM56 website). [Status: ANSWERED. What I need is MCT as in Maximum Continuous Thrust. Thanks !]
  • So far I have found quite a lot of information on turbofans, no so much on turboprops. I have read somewhere that props also perform derated takeoffs (any word on flexible takeoffs?). What happens when they switch to climb thrust, if there is such a thing (or is it just a prop pitch change) ? [Status: not answered yet]
Thanks for your valuable input

LeCoyote