PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 Shortcomings
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 09:54
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
GroundFlight - quite agree, its not a good location and totally illogical to have guards on the overhead switches for unimportant stuff (AVCS etc) but not for the AHRS on the console. In the early days I was PF on finals to rig at night (well dusk anyway), called for compasses to DG in finals checks and looked down to see that PNF had already turned off his AHRS and had his finger over my AHRS buttons. The only saving grace is that the AHRS buttons are not symmetrical, so whilst AHRS1 is just above DG1, the button just above DG2 is the COMP button which doesn't do anything in flight - my PNF had his finger on that button.

This has been passed to Eurocopter but in these sorts of things you win some and you lose some, that one I lost. I seem to recall that the L2 had guards on its AHRS on/off buttons but for some reason that was not copied on the 225

As usual, good cockpit practices can make up for this type of shortcoming and we are now more careful to check that the other pilot is going to press the right button! However, if this is the extent of the aircraft's shortcomings, its not doing too badly!

HC