PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash at Sharjah airport
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 08:36
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
Many early 707/720 were originally delivered with just two small slats between the engines ( BOAC 707-300, QF "138A",PanAm -321). Many were later retrofitted with full span leading edge devices, Kruger flaps inboard, slats outboard. This applied to the QF 707-138, also originally delivered with JT3 straight pipes, later modified to JT3-MC6 fans.

Not too many air motors on a 707, just hydraulic and electric.

All the ex-PanAm 707-321 I ever flew, from the original JT-4 powered, through to one of their last ever deliveries, a really beaut freighter with JT3D-7, all had air cycle machine air conditioning, T/C or bleed powered. Most 707 only had 2 T/C, some three, always 4 bleeds.

The only "707" I ever operated that had freon were ex-TWA 720. Air Nuigini started jet operations with one, leased from a mob of "interesting people" called Templewood Aviation, spent a year parked on the seawall at Mogadishu immediately before, the corrosion was something to behold. Many moons ago, Air Tanzania had a couple, range was a real problem, even DAR- Dubai was pushing it.

707s needed lots of tender loving care, and cubic $$$ for corrosion control, and that was thirty/forty years ago??

The last Sudan based 707 I saw ( a while ago in Jedda) looked pretty, until you got up close, amazing what Imron will stick to, my impression was I didn't want to walk under it, in case it fell on me. Sudan Airways very first 707 operations were wet leases by BMA, probably an ex-QF B707-338C.

Tootle pip!!