PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emigrating to Canada
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 16:48
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll chime in that as a (non pilot) immigrant to Canada from the UK I could not disagree more with the tone of the remarks by Carrier. I have absolutely no regrets over my decision to immigrate here.

Just to randomly pick some items to quibble with ....

Originally Posted by Carrier
Canadian schools, colleges and universities are appalling.
That must be why McGill University in Montreal was rated something like 15th in the last worldwide rankings I saw (only US or UK universotoes were above IIRC) - though I was pleased to see that it was below my own Alma Mater.

... Canada and Canadians refuse to recognise superior overseas experience and qualifications because it is not "North American" experience.
That must be why my own company, a major Canadian aerospace firm, routinely recruits from abroad ....

Canadians are some of the coldest and most withdrawn people in the world. There are no real public houses. ...
I don't know where you live to have arrived at that conclusion. I'll just note that if Canada (Montreal) "has no pubs" then I do wonder where I'm managing to spend my evenings? I've also had no issues finding equally congenial establishments in any city I've visited across the country, nor any problem with "cold" locals wherever I've gone.

There is no Canadian health system. Health care in Canada falls under provincial jurisdiction. Each province (the federal government for the territories) runs its own health care system.
So the Canada Health Act - an item of Federal legislation that sets standards for health care country wide - is a figment of my imagination too? Must be a result of all the beer I'm drinking in those non-existent pubs. The Canadian health care system is no different in that regard than the NHS (since you seem to like to refer to the UK). Local health boards are autonomous entities, and waiting lists in the UK can vary considerably. And I do seem to recall that the coverage for things like prescriptions was different across the UK too - assuming you're prepared to count Scotland part of the UK, that is?

I'll agree that nowhere is perfect (it DOES get bloody cold) but I can think of many worse places to live.