PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KAL B777 rating
Thread: KAL B777 rating
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 14:27
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm all about quality of life instead of the size of the airplane that I fly. If you're just wishing me a safe and happy flight on the emb145.. Thank you!
I totally agree with you that pilots should have maintained as a norm that the company would pay for the training, companies like Ryan and Southwest have created an environment where a pilot paying for their own training seems to be an acceptable practice and that is very sad and unfortunate but in the case of SWA for example, the argument is that a payment of 8,000 dollars will grant you millions in earnings through the years and the same is true with KAL since a type on the 777 and time in type will ensure you very good earnings for the rest of your career for those that have made contract work their career path, I don't agree with paying for ones training and in fact I was lucky enough to get a contract job where the company paid for it but I also understand the logic of doing so.

It is not the size per say Gusz, it is the potential for career earnings that flying an RJ you simply cannot achieve and you may feel happy flying 15 days a month and making barely six figures and that might be enough to cover for your expenses now but for the rest of us that have been in the business a little longer and that have big expenses like college for the kids, an RJ driver salary simply won't do. Also quality of life is not simply having three more days off a month it is also having peace of mind when you are at work because the six leg days with multiple deferrals and the 500 hour F/O's coupled with weather and traffic jams just makes your time at work extremely stressful, I have to say that flying the heavy Iron is a lot more enjoyable and rewarding (monetarily and in peace of mind)