PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots will not be armed... (merged)
Old 14th Jun 2002, 06:37
max_cont

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhatsaLizad? Sorry I don’t get the bit about security agencies giving advice re the fire axe. To clarify my statement: since the US pilots are not allowed to have a handgun on the flight deck, the only item of use is the fire axe. (Pretty much like the rest of aviation)

Rest assured, your government is not the only government not to have a coherent strategy for aircraft security and no, I’ve not had any training on the use of a fire axe for self-defence. We’re still debating which bit to use, the spike or the blade.

If you think it’s likely that you are going to hit your skipper on the back swing with the axe, I don’t like his chances of surviving an encounter with you armed with a handgun.

My reference to the range has more significance than you would imagine. The hero only blows the evil terrorist clean off his/her feet with a pistol in Hollywood. In real life thing are a bit more difficult. Unless you can hit the body T right at the start, your suicidal terrorist will be all over you like a rash. He or she may die from wounds received later on, but that won’t matter. If they have done their homework they will know how to enter a defended doorway and maximise their chances of achieving their goal. You being able to hit him in the foot arm leg abdomen or wherever doesn’t get the job done. You can bet your life you aren’t going to get the chance to shoot them one at a time, it’s going to be fast and furious. One of the reasons security agencies use SMG’s as the weapon of choice is because it far easier to hit the right places when you’re stressed.

I agree with you that a pistol is far more effective than an axe… in trained hands. The problem is, is that some pilots believe that they don’t need the training or practice to maintain that effectiveness.

Unless your government has a change of heart, I’d start working on that back swing of yours.