PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - best twin for training?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 08:30
Aerohooligan

Location: Somewhere that looks a lot better when I close my eyes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MECIR first or last?

Complete your CPL get time on a single......

Get IREX out of the way.

Leave the MECIR until you absolutely need it.
Whilst I understand the logic in terms of saving money etc, I'm not sure if that would work so well in the current job environment. I did my instrument rating at the end of last year which helped boost my total time from about 195 to 230 or so. It doesn't seem like much but I'm unsure whether I would have landed my current job without that little bit extra. Then again I guess I'd be on the other side of the fence if I hadn't done it. I reckon it's easier to smash the MECIR after CPL when you're still in the study mood. It's been 10 months since I finished mine and now I'm trying to work and study ATPL at the same time but I just can't find the time or energy.

Of course, the other issue is if you don't do it before getting a job, you need an employer willing to give you your entire annual leave in one chunk to get it done. Big ask for any employer.

I personally think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Either way you've got pros and cons. Doing it at any point in your career, it will enhance your skills both in a stick and rudder and procedural sense, probably much more than you anticipate.

And my money's on the Duchess. Easy to fly, handles nicely (though def underpowered) and very common so easy to get at a reasonable price.

Sorry to encourage the thread drift.