PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changing bird going certified or not.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 08:02
joris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The velocity is surely an exciting aircraft.

However in Europe we have some other issues to deal with then our friends on the other side of the Atlantic. Flying IFR with an experimental can not be done in Europe. Flight plans need to be approved by eurocontrol. The equipment minima to fly airways is B-RNAV and you need FM immunity equipment and mode S and of course a good GPS

Bottom line an EASA annex II aircraft (experimental) is fine however your limited below to FL100 in most of the EU countries e.g. Germany. DFS doesn't like VFR's in class C specially around Frankfurt...

So the Velocity and some other Hi speed experimentals are to powerfull to maximise the efficiancy of them in Europe....

As already mentioned by some others here on the forum. Flying airways the most cost efficiant way is going N -reg with a certified bird...
The alternative is VFR ....with all limitations as well known weather, ATCO's moods etc..
Most of the time I get what I want flying VFR (But then again I fly meanly east bound and German controllers do a good job for us VFR blokes)
Alltough one get's stressed out some times when doing 600 Nm you talk to 15 diffrent controllers set of 8 diffrent squawk codes for clearances..

So a decision going certified mainly is triggred by can I finacially afford it...