PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky X2 coaxial heli developments.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 00:45
IFMU

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by dangermouse
IFMU, the X2 rear rotor AXIS is not perpendicular to the longitudinal one, it's along it thereby eliminating it from the pure helicopter definition.
dangermouse,

I'm good with that, for what it is worth. I would argue the thing on the back is a propeller and not a rotor, but I agree X2 is not a pure helicopter. I do think it has some pure helicopter attributes that come along with low disc loading, such as hover efficiency and autorotation capability, but it would seem to me that it can't steal G-LYNX's record based upon the definitions that we all seem to agree on. If X2 accomplishes what they say it will, then its accomplishments will stand on their own merit without having to compete against G-LYNX.

Furthermore, you should be pround of G-LYNX. Heck, I'm proud of G-LYNX and I have no ties to Westland. No real ties to England either, as we are two countries divided by a common language and that little spat back in 1776 or so. But, the helicopter tribe is small enough, that when somebody in it does something exceptional, how can you not sit back and say "hey, that was cool." I think that people who cannot appreciate other's achievements have perhaps never achieved anything themselves, and are therefore ignorant of what it really takes.

-- IFMU