PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Flight From Rio Lands On Taxiway
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2009, 08:26
Monom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monom

Many years ago, landing at Ovda (S. Israel) a similar thing nearly happened. 2 parallel r/w's and a narrow taxiway. Right hand r/w closed, so fairly straightforward - not! VOR let down, 30 deg offset. On limits, just rained, sun setting in our eyes. Breakcloud and there were the 2 r/w's. Took the left one until about 200 ft when it became apparent that the r/w was much narrower than the right hand one. Doubts, then certainty - it was the taxiway. Just time to switch (B757) and land. Phew! But I had a CAA inspector sitting by my shoulder. What we did not know was that the runway was not only closed but completely dug up. Sun shone off the wet r/w and taxiway giving a very false picture. Ovda is in the desert and there is very little other reference. I was reaching for my licence to rip it up when the inspector said "I was fooled too." The (NL) CAA then issued a cautionary note about such circumstances and my career continued. Easily done if the cheese holes line up, so don't be too hasty in condemnation.