PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Installation of avionics STC's etc....
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2009, 06:54
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure every avionic installer in the UK and US who can operate a crimp tool will be delighted to know you think of them as idiots. Whilst they may not be highly knowledgeable about component level design, there is nevertheless a decent level of skill required to produce an accurate, functional, reliable and airworthy installation of today's complex avionics. I assume you'll never want to go near any European shop to have work done?
I didn't say there were no idiots in the US avionics scene. I think they are probably similar to those over here; the only real difference being that they do a lot more work, or a lot more varied work, so they have more experience. I do business with America regularly and their % of picnics shoft of a sandwich is just as interesting as over here in the UK.

What I am disputing is the validity of the EASA approach, treating everything as a mod which they must approve. Assuming a competent installer, this approach is no more valid than the AML approach which is basically meaningless (see my steering wheel example) in terms of telling the installer which wires go where.