PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Flight From Rio Lands On Taxiway
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2009, 04:24
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically,at ATL, approaches are flown to the outside runways and departures from the inside. If given a side-step to 27R, radios are unlikely tuned and the final approach flown visually. This is much easier to do than we would like to believe. More so after flying all night.
There but for the grace of God...........
Amen. I don't fly into ATL much anymore but I did do the sidestep from the 27L ILS to 27R landing through a low cloud layer in the middle of the night a couple of years ago. You are instantly high on profile from the difference in thresholds and I kept asking 'does this look right?'.

At Eastern, we used remind the DL boys about landing at the right airport after several flights arrived at the wrong airport; say FLL instead of MIA, or McDill AFB instead of TPA; there were others. So, at least, they're at ATL.
They also did Frankfort instead of Lexington (both in Kentucky, at least). It was observed that Delta was an acronym for 'Don't Ever Land There Again!'

When DAL first started transAtlantic service, gross navigational errors were common...for awhile.
Yep, for instance: 2 JETS NEARLY COLLIDE OVER THE ATLANTIC - The New York Times