PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 Crew get BA safety Medal
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2009, 01:49
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Training Captain, we get to fly with all sorts of people. Just had a flight with an AAIB Inspector in the other seat. Among numerous other discussions that day, a fascinating chat ensued about BA038 and who was to blame etc. The AAIB pilot was absolutely clear that no blame whatsoever could or should be attached to the pilots. Their view is that by an astonishing stroke of good fortune the engines did not pack up a few minutes earlier with potentially catastrophic consequences for all on board, plus numerous innocent people on the ground. The pilots were considered to have been faced with an impossible situation which, despite a very long flight and little or no notice, they handled very well. This was a combination of unusual in-flight conditions and a little-understood engineering issue. The AAIB pilot said that they believed these conditions have probably appeared on several previous occasions, but environmental circumstances prevented the engines losing power to the extent experienced here. They also recognised that, having reached this unenviable position, 19 times out of 20 it would normally result in disaster. I personally am delighted that a degree of good fortune and a massive amount of airmanship prevented disaster that day. Our industry's hardest and most unforgiving professionals, the AAIB, agree - that is good enough for me.

And for what its worth - I am one who is exposed to significant numbers of people who revel in fleecing the social security system. I am therefore delighted that Mmmayday38 is able to recoup a tiny portion of his significant payments into the pot - it makes a very pleasant change to the pile of complete losers and thieves who are bleeding the country dry.