PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hurricane crash at Shoreham airshow
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 23:19
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With every respect to the Hurricane pilot's family and friends, I can only remark that in my time as a BAe photographer we had the sad loss of Jim Hawkins ( test ) display flying the Hawk 200 - he was a VERY experienced & qualified Test Pilot, who did the ' usual ' mistake of apparently getting carried away with his enjoyment & looping too low; I think it was the same year that McDonnell, as then, lost their Chief / senior Test Pilot.

No matter how skilled or experienced, the ground is waiting to get you.

I knew a few Test Pilots who hated ' display flying ', for example at annual 'field days, as though highly skilled they were not used to this role, and had enough sense to realise it.

John Farley was of course the ultimate display pilot ( just as a sideline compared to proper testing ) but he did it his way, and I happened to be there when he told a visiting Spitfire pilot to go forth and multiply after said pilot did passes with the prop' literally inches away from the ground ( at the time I was young and stupid enough to be impressed ).

That Spitfire pilot, ( NOT R.H. or anyone that good ) strangely enough, is no longer with us - guess why - and if ever at an airshow I want to see graceful displays, not buttock-clenching " AARGH ! sounds from self & those around me.