PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 16:14
regle

Everything comes to he who waits.

Gypsy, I flew on "Long Courier" from August of 1952 until June of 1954 as a First officer and made about four landings in that time and, as far as I can remember, never made a take-off. I was lucky, as many of the others never even touched the controls. I am not grumbling because it was the same treatment as all the others were getting and it was deemed normal. I am certainly not grumbling at the speed at which I was given a Command , just under two years, as no other Airline could match Sabena for the speed of promotion due to the importance of the Company in relation to the size and population of the Country which was only nine million strong that was the population of London, alone ,at that time. Plus the Belgian Congo was of vital importance to the Country and strong links had to be maintained I am also grateful for the fact that I learned an enormous amount by performing all the duties of a First Officer so knew what to expect when I eventually got my command. Above all it taught me a lot about patience and curbing my natural instincts to "take over" and use a quiet word of advice, put in a tactful manner instead. But there were one or two times.........! Regle.