PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 15:42
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cazatou
<<Very nice photographs - but as they were not taken on 2nd June 1994 they are indicative but not strictly relevant. >>
The full set of such photographs I posted some time ago were indeed not taken on 2nd June 1994 – they were meant to be indicative – coupled with a vist to the area in the Summer when a strong wind is forecast, those interested in this case could perhaps have an understanding of those very typical local conditions that are very relevent to this case – as I have tried so many times to convey to you all.
I have over several years spent a lot of time at sea along the NW coast of Scotland and am familiar with the appearance of the headlands under different met conditions – the conditions I expected to have been existent on the Mull that day with the given forecast were supported by the yachtsman's fuller statement and by none other than the procurator fiscal himself (a local) who was at the site that evening.
Briefly, the lower slopes were not in thick, orographic cloud but had an irregular layer of mist running up the ground (as I have tried to describe in detail in many previous posts) – from a distance, the presence of the ground would be obvious but the blurring of detail would have made judgement of range to go very difficult visually as it would precise positioning – it would not have been a problem for en route nav but would have been difficult if they had (for whatever reason) to closely approach the landmass.
It's like flogging a dead horse.
Flipster
havn't you checked your PMs or was the question asking too much?