PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 15:24
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$50k, sure.

I recall reading a premium survey at the Socata user group site, and IIRC the TB owners were paying much lower premiums than Cirrus owners.

This could be due to the different pilot experience profile (only slightly odd characters buy TBs ) but the difference was pretty substantial.

OTOH I know someone with a DA42 whose premium is massive. Can't recall the figure but it was about $10k plus. I pay £2500 (CPL/IR 1000+hrs, sole pilot).

However it's not that hard to make sure a gear up landing is really unlikely. On the TB, the landing flap is interlocked to the gear status and the only way to fool it is to land without the landing flap (which some pilots do, thinking they are smart and the runway is long...). But you also need to defeat the throttle lever position v. gear status interlock, which is possible but only if landing into a fairly strong headwind. If one fitted a radar altimeter, the system would be "totally" foolproof but one wonders about the wisdom of providing the stereotype Cirrus customer with a radalt OTOH the Garmin 496-style GPS "500ft" audio warning would be 99% as good.

I am not saying I will never land gear up but if I do I need my head examined because I will have made 4 mistakes one after the other:

- forgot to drop the gear
- forgot the landing flap
- probably doing a very flat approach i.e. high power (which I never do)
- ignored the 500ft warning from the G496