PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilatus PC-12 crash, Netherlands
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 11:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not expressing my opinion on single engine V multi other than yes I do feel more comfortable in the situations I posted above with two engines.

It maybe correct re the multi /single stats although I would guess they refer more to the light piston twins rather than turbines.

Re the pilot quality YES there are some very experienced, capable PPLs but the public dont know that!

The public regard the PPL as unprofessional, a hobby pilot, part time, uncurrent, low houred. While they regard a CPL/ATPL as a professional pilot who flies for a living. Its his/her job full time current high houred. Not my opinion but observation of those perceptions.

Especially with the public we are fighting a battle that on the whole most are nervous of flying and it is only too easy to press the wrong button with them and increase their fears.

I hold to it that a PC12 would be seen as a single engine, 14 person light aircraft flown by a solitary hobby pilot by the press. The press, media love having a field day scaring mr Joe public at every opportunity.

Cirrus were very clever with their BRS shute system. Single engine? so what we have a shute that will lower you to the ground safely. What a Marketing angle?

Pace