PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - altimeter settings in USSR
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 10:49
PicMas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still maintain that if:

The controller is used to give altitudes based on QFE, the pilots should set QFE to avoid pilot and controller error in the conversion - as posted above.
The controller may very well agree to give QNH, and may correctly do so, if there is a handover or the controller looks at his scope and sees you entering a certain sector for the approach, there is a minute chance he will pass the same (QFE-based) altitude as for the previous 1,000,000 aircrafts, a well-known scenario for error based on law of recency.

In that case if:

The gadgetgizmo gives you warnings, and there is no sensible way to correct this ie. update database etc, the warning feature should be disconnected. The gadget - whatever it is - is not what is keeping the aircraft from hitting the ground. There are, for most Russian installations, two NDBs with corresponding altitudes, DME, timing and of course a glideslope or an AZELscope.

My vote is still for:

Fly QFE - to avoid conversion workload (this may already be increased due to conversion from meters to feet) and habitual clearances from ATC.

Disconnect known warning - The idea of ignoring a warning (if it can not be corrected).... no need to discuss that one I think.

The EGPWS is there to, among other things, warn about altitude being too low for a particular segment of flight, if it is known prior that this function is not performing as intended it should be disconnected. When it, on short final to Vnukovo, gives the TOO LOW TERRAIN warning this is incorrect.