PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bonds for UPGRADES? And what if the airline GOES UNDER?
Old 8th Apr 2001, 20:08
beaver eager

Well, I agreed to the extra 8 weeks notice period for lots of very good reasons, all of them financial.

When I was given my ATR command course date, this meant accepting the 'Gentleman's Agreement' to stay for another year (which, being a Gentleman - some may disagree on that - I was always keen to stick to, having entered into it of my own free will to get about an 80% pay rise).

At that point I knew I would be at CFE for the next five years, as I knew I would get an RJ100 command within the next 18 months which I definitely wanted (and which has since happened on schedule), and changing types would mean re-bonding for £15000 for another three years and I hate paying bonds back.

So I knew I was staying for another 5 years and the extra eight weeks notice gave you an extra £4000 p.a. as an ATR Captain, plus 8% company pension contributions instead of just 3%, plus BUPA, plus Loss of Licence Insurance. As I didn't want to leave, I thought it best to take what was on offer, be happy about it, and worry about how to leave when it became an issue. I learned a long time ago (whilst working as a mini-cab driver) not to anticipate problems - just deal with them as they arise, it makes for an easier life!

Anyway now BA seem to want to integrate us into EoG with another improvement in pay and conditions and everyone knows that Nigel's don't usually leave BA, so it looks as if I did the right thing in deferring the worry about how to leave. I seem to be coming up smelling of roses!