PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Jetstar Engineering Base.
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2009, 22:26
chockchucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not QF LAME.

F.Y.I. it was the AAE board that directed that, following their experience with XMO at JHAS, the remaining freighters be maintained at QF Tulla.

Like it or not, JHAS just aren't geared up properly to do major maintenance on ageing aircraft. Hence, even they have scaled back their heavy maint. ambitions to a single line only (full of new-ish Virgin Embraers just now). With the remaining lines being mostly Jetstar and Tiger A checks and Tiger line maintenance as well as some strategic and Virgin NG work. Nothing stopping JHAS from gearing right up. Only it would take some further Capital investment. Perhaps there is the stumbling block?

What does make ones blood boil is when, after signing a contract to maintain the strategic A330's, JHAS come calling to QF to "borrow" parts to troubleshoot defects (A330 apu defect was the last one I heard of). They then look bemused when they are rightly told, in my opinion, that it's their contract and it's up to them to support it with all the equipment and parts necessary. Can't have your cake and eat it too by undercutting your competitors and then expect them to come and bail you out of the poo by borrowing their spare parts for free!

Meanwhile, the trail of the new Jetstar heavy maint base seems to have gone cold. Especially for a facility that is to be up and running by February. Anybody heard anything more?