PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Refuelling On Batteries Only
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2009, 19:04
JetAGoblin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICTV operatin

The ICTV's once open, will remain latched open until delatched, by a signal from the FQIC (either cockpit refuel or from the refuel panel). The latching logic is related to a number of relay's (Three per pair of ICTV). It is likely that from previous flight the ICTV will be open (say if landing with <1,400 kg (approx) in one wing) which occurs at approx 750 kg in one inner cell.

If then refuelled on battery, as gary & microburst have said, the ICTV actuators are not powered and although "delatched" will remain open until electrical power is put back on the aircraft. In this sense the FLSCU, once the low level sensors are wet (approx 750 kg), will enable the ICTV's to close. (the ICTV's are paired both front together and both rear together). The position of the ICTV's are controlled by the low level sensors (open when dry, close when wet and delatched).

Once ICTV's are closed the outer cell will fill up to it's max qty (approx 690 kg), from the IDG recirc as well as motive flow for the outer and surge tank scavenge jet pumps.

The reason behind dispatch with outers full is load alleviation -> fuel in the outer cell = less stress on the wing root area. Hence the MEL limit for ICTV's failed open and OPP failure. For this reason (and going off the subject) the A321 (as well as a slightly different system) has a stronger wing/fuselage join.

I can't remember clearly, but I think in the AMM procedure for refuel on battery there may be reference that if refuel on battery the outers may not be full & similarly a note somewhere in the FCOM at the refuel procedure part (unfortunately not having access to these docs I can't verify!)