PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged Keratoconus thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2009, 17:34
rwhartop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 1 medical with Keratoconus

Hey everyone,

My first post, I have mild Keratoconus in my left eye, I have been down to the CAA at Gatwick today (19/10/09) and all i can say is anyone with K bad news! I saw the ophthalmology consultant Mr duguid and he said that anyone with any sort of eye disease such as K , will not be eligible for a initial class 1 (devastated) because they don't want people to go and spend £50,000+ on training then in a few years fail a medical. that's from the horses mouth. I met all the visual standards unaided but still couldn't have a class 1! I originally wanted to join the RAF so i start to compare my eyes (as you do) and i noticed a slight weakness in my left so i went for an eye test and was luckily enough to pick an optician who specializes in K, , he said if he wasn't studying it, i would have passed my initial and they wouldn't have been then wiser but i stupidly told the CAA. I have been strongly advised by a consultant at Moor Field eye hospital against C3-R for the time being. There maybe is an option that if i get an FAA Class 2 then apply for a class 1 and get it, i can convert it back and it will then be a renewal with the CAA not a initial and I will most probably be ok.
I hope the rules change!