PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Prop?
Thread: What Prop?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2009, 17:18
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
More uplift from Down Under!

G'Day to my Antipodean Advisors
Brian (Victoria?) & The "E" NSW

And to think that all of this came out of me not recognizing a name on a prop.

Brian, I knew that Lancaster crews felt sorry for the Halifax guys because they couldn't fly as high, but now we add duff soldering to their woes as well!
I note your comments about about treating the mossie with CARE, Do I remember hearing, that to fly them in combat, one needed a minimum 1000 hrs time before converting to the type. This minimum seems to have been dropped once hostilities ended.

The "E", Thanks for your notes on notes. I seem to remember all that cutting and pasting amendments with my 'Pooley's Flight Guide' back in the pre-computerised days. Thank you for your perception of my dad's skills. I had the privilege of speaking recently with a gent (86 yrs. young), who gained his wings with my father on Course 12 at No. 5 B.F.T.S. in Florida, May 1943. He, unprompted, told me that my dad's flying was held in high regard by his peers. My father's log shows that he flew 17 types in his 1170 hours TT. The mossie was his 13th type as 1st Pilot, (what price superstition) and he had 54 hours P1 on-type at the time of the crash. It is most gratifying to hear (especially from a flyer with A.&AEE experience) words of praise for a pilot serving with a Ferry Unit. So often it seems, the Ferry guys (and gals, pace ATA) are perceived to be at the bottom of the hierarchy of aviotomy (along with the Instructors). Taking nothing away from the heroic combat flyers of course, but surely both ferry work and instruction are full of challenges, and are certainly more demanding than peacetime (A to B and back) flying. I wonder when humankind will outgrow something as primitive as a "pecking order" and develop a more level respect for the diverse contributions of all. Must stop now as I seem to be on the verge of waxing philosophical - and I haven't touched a drop this evening - yet.
Thanks again gents for your input.
Ian BB