PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Privatized ATC, pros and cons
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2002, 15:52
StuckMic_com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spitoon,

<<On pensions and retirement, I think it's probably fair to say that NATS staff win hands down.>>

First i've heard this. I'm not doubting your word, just seems contrary to public perception here in the US.

<<... scare stories little short of propaganda.>>
<<... you'll sometimes hear stories that are simply untrue...>>
<<... ask for substantiation and there's nothing to support them.>>
<<... it's just what happens when a rumour factory is working overtime.>>

From this side of the Atlantic we read about long shifts (greater than 8 hours) with long periods (greater than 2 hours) on the radar without a break, 400nm stretches of airspace being shut down because of a single sick leave hit and a system on the verge of bankruptcy.

I guess of those 4 issues mentioned, it's the bankruptcy portion that concerns me most since the shortage of finances will affect everything else.

<<There's no doubt that morale is low within NATS and at some regional airports but I doubt that it's anything to do with privatisation ...>>

If bankruptcy is a real issue, i can see how this would impact such issues as length of shifts, time on position and benefits. In this respect, it would appear privatizing has had an affect on the employees.

<<I don't work for NATS ...>>

Obviously i don't either, so i'd like to hear some input from some NATS employees addressing your points. Great post! Thanks for the perspective.

StuckMic