PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What hope for low hour pilots ???
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2002, 14:55
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 177 Likes on 68 Posts
Thumbs up

Flypuppy. Stick in their friend. You are probably at the nadir of your quest at this time. I have been there. In the early winter of 1999 I was facing very little PPL work as a FI. I was in debt. The money coming in only covered my living expenses if I did nothing at all but work. I had a big fat file of rejection letters and all in all things were pretty glum. As it happens I got lucky and got taken on by BAE.

You will make it I am sure. Its undoubtably harder for you being an older man with far more responsibilites than I had. For that you have only my admiration. I think you are being very sensible in your postponing of the IRT. Your insightful comments about the difference between PPL and CPL are also extremely valuable. Far too many Wannabes envisage the breathless excitement of the PPL as being the format for future training.

Having been a PPL and then a CPL IR instructor I can atest to the fact that the two courses are very different. With a PPL students you are cajolling, upbeat, fatherly - you have scope to put a bit of fun into each days training.

When you reach CPL level the same applies but to a much diminished degree. Mistakes are highlighted in terms of how you would have killed everyone on board. The standards of preperation and the directness of de-briefing are much more taught. Particularly so when you are dealing with a cadet for whom someone else is paying. There is a definite shift in tone. The damocles sword of the huge costs weighs heavy above the whole course.

As for paying Ryanair for interviews and CV's I think it sucks. I don't want to see people do it. BUT if I had a friend who could afford it I would be remiss if I didn't advise that in the end - it would be advantageous to spend the money and try.

I would actually draw the line at self sponsored type ratings as I actually believe they are a waste of money for low time guys.

Nobody should have to work for free but I know good people who have who are now fine airline pilots. They accelerated their careers by doing so. I wish it were not so but it is.

Some people have a lot of money to throw are becoming a pilot. This helps them. Its unfair and unjust but it is true.

I was not one of them.

Keep your chin up.