PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2009, 10:00
ILOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally when I am bumping through an active cold front I would far rather be in a handcrafted metal airframe than a rattly plastic jellymould - even if it does have a parachute.

By the way I am 6ft 1" and not terribly slim - even with 3 or 4 aboard the Mooney was always fine.
scooterboy I think your spectacles are so rose-tinted as to be virtually opaque! There's not much arguing with the stats as to the Mooney's speed, legs or thirstiness compared to the Cirrus, but there's a reason for that - cabin size and fixed gear.

I just don't believe you when you say that with 4 aboard someone of your size was fine. I'm 6 ft and reasonably broad shouldered and found that when sat in the Mooney I was rubbing shoulders with the other person in the front. With the front seat in the right position for me there was no way I could sit in the back seat without putting my legs across it. It felt small and claustrophobic.

As far as 'rattly plastic jellymould', my god, get into the 21st century! Composites are unarguably the way forward.

The Cirrus (and the DA42) are great planes for what they are designed for, you're just not really comparing like for like.