PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2009, 08:13
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
007, my dim view is based on experience of flying and being a passenger in a number of cirri over the years. I know you own/fly a Cirrus as do many on this forum and that criticism of your aircraft is often taken more personally than criticism of your wife!

Before I bought my Mooney I had a test flight in the cirrus and did a comparison.
The cirrus made no sense at all, it was slower, thirstier, has a smaller range, was not available with approved deicing back then (I still have my doubts about effectiveness of deicing in an aircraft with fixed gear) and had less integrated avionics. There is no way I could have completed many of the flights I have been able to over the last few years in a Cirrus without lots of extra fuel stops. Could you make Greece in 6h @12gph LOP from the UK in a Cirrus? I don't think so!

Worse than that it was being pushed so hard in all the aviation mags as the holy grail for general aviation.

Nothing makes me recoil as much as when a poor second rate product is being over marketed as a first rate product.

Look at Loop's "race" to Cannes for example. They had a DA42, a cirrus and something else.
Q. Where was the Mooney?
A. not invited as it would have shown a clean pair of heels to everything else by an embarrasingly long margin, not to mention the fact that it would have used half the fuel.

My opinion is based on my own experience and is here simply to provide balance here to the frothy effervescent unbalanced reviews of the jellymould I frequently read.
Cirri are fat thirsty slow birds by comparison with any comparable Mooney - and don't get me started on the DA-42!

Don't believe what you read in the aviation press.