PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2009, 15:45
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of points about the factual figures quoted, they are from October 21st 2008 and I know there have been several unfortunate incidents since then. 2008 was statistically a good year for the fleet and I fear the 2009 figures when all done will be worse.

I am doing nothing other than being the messenger of these numbers which are put together by Rick Beech who is a copa member who has made it a personal voluntary mission to study every Cirrus accident in detail with a view to learning and advising other members as to the reasons of the accidnet for others to hopefully learn from and hopefully improve what was very bad stats for the early Cirrus fleet, and he is making a tangible difference.

I think the reason it makes the news is a combination of factors and it is true several high profile incidents, Cory Liddle, NYC being probably the most high profile add to the perception of it being people with perhaps more money than hours flying the Cirrus. Saying that the most recent fatality was a hugely experienced and respected instructor with 1000's of hours so it can go wrong for anyone. It is also fairly well documented that the vast majority of accidents are pilot error just the same as in many other types.