PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alternatives to current security
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2009, 15:34
Espada III

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Alternatives to current security

I am a new member of the forum but fly about six times a year with my family from Manchester to Tel Aviv usually via an airport in Europe.

The most remarkable thing about this route is that security is so much smoother in Israel. It is not a case of one clogged up zone between check-in and departure lounge, but a whole series of small and large checks which generally add little overall time to the departure procedure but fill you with a certain measure of confidence that the security people actually know what they are looking for.

Security starts are the entrance to the airport itself where every vehicle passes through a brief checkpoint. Some cars are stopped and the passengers subjected to a more in depth investigation. Then, when you get to the terminal, there is a thorough but brief and polite interview with a security person who asks all the questions that people ignore at check-in everywhere else in the world. It is as this point that things change from the rest of the world.

After this point you can either to straight to check-in or have your hold luggage X-rayed in front of you. So they are profiling the passengers rather than subjecting everyone to the same procedure.

Check-in is just that - no stupid questions about who packed your luggage - its simply about getting you your seat as quickly as possible. Thereafter there is the usual hand luggage and personal check, but at various points before and after there is scrutiny of travel documents to ensure that only passengers get to various points. I have seen people pulled up at the last security check, although by then it is frequently a check of the systems. I was pulled up last week for something as minor as the the wrong colour ink on a signature by a security person on a label stuck to my passport.

Anyway just some thoughts.

I have lurked around the fora here for some time and though it time to get some things off my chest.

Anyone with recommendations for activities for children (aged 5 - 11) at FRA in the winter for an hour?