PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - As PIC, what is your action if......
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2009, 09:24
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, you insisted! Rainboe's baccckkk!

What is this nonsense about offloading someone because they changed their mind? 'Only an hour late'? Can you imagine 400 people on a 747, having to negotiate a gate to return to, having to get full groundstaff plus unloading equipment installed at the gate, get holds open, start unloading containers one by one, rummage through them looking for a single baggage tag? Then reload, get new ATC clearance, possibly top up fuel, and try again...after hours of delay? Then, because of the disruption, what are you going to do when someone else, disturbed by all this commotion, then decides that they are panic striken and tell you you cannot leave and they must get off! Insanity! So Mr. Captain, what are you then going to do, do it all again and let them off and hunt for their bags, or make them travel? IF you are going to then make them travel, why did you not make the first person travel? If need be, I would be kind and have them restrained so they then have no choice. Their panic would not last longer than the After Takeoff

This needs joined-up thinking, rather than pandering to what is considered an individual's 'human rights'! Sorry, but an individual's 'human rights' to get off do not overide the rights of the other 400 or so other passengers to continue their journey as scheduled and agreed in their travel contract. I always go back and see these people- such situations call for firm control. They have entered into a contract and bought a ticket. Nobody can claim 'kidnapping' or that nonsense. If need be, I would be kind and have them restrained so they then have no choice. Their panic would not last longer than the After Takeoff Checklist, then they would become a normal human being again.

Hint- it helps to volubly let the surrounding passengers know the consequences of such a return and the likely delay that will ensue to their journey! A technique I have found extremely effective.