PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Airlink J41 crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2009, 05:05
Der absolute Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not think that there is really a right and a wrong here, any more than left is wrong or right is right. However, I remember reading the report on an F27 situation ex LBA some years ago.
Just after airborne,below 400ft, the no 1 engine fire bell went off. The crew dealt with the emergency as per the SOPs and the checklist and returned for a landing at LBA. The Captain instructed the forward cabin crew, via the intercom telephone, to evacuate the aircraft through the right hand side. I do not remember reading the exact words used but the intention, obviously enough, was to evacuate on the side away from the engine which was or had been (for real) on fire. May I say just that there was some confusion and that initially the aircraft was evacuated towards the left hand side, port side, no 1 engine - in any event, the engine that had been or still was on fire.
With hindsight 20/20 perhaps the Captain should have called the No 1 up to the cockpit and pointedingly told her to evacuate through THAT side. But then we all know how wonderful hindsight is especially when the heat is in the kitchen.
The only point here surely, is not to pick holes in the phraseology of others but to find or determine a phraseology which removes ambiguity and improves safety.
In the old nautical days, port used to be called larboard but it was changed to port to remove exactly that sort of ambiguity of which we speak. It seems that even in these pages of Pprune this might be difficult and so I make the following suggestion based upon history and its precedents.
When in the winter of 1778/9 the troops of George Washington were encamped at Valley Forge, many of them were farm boy recruits who did not know their left from the right. Drilling was a problem and so it was got around by tying a bundle of hay to the left boot and one of the straw to the right boot. Every farm boy know hay from straw and so left/right march became hay/straw march. I think that nudes airbrushed on the inside of the cabin would do very well. We could have black nude on the left and white nude on the right-therefore staying with the political correct. Evacuate through the black nude or the white nude would get rid of any confusion I expect.