PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Physics MSci Or Aeronautical Engineering Meng at University?
Old 17th Oct 2009, 18:03
Emkay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I do understand that at the present climate getting a pilots licence first won't guarantee me anything, which is why I am definitely doing to study for a degree first. The main dilemma is actually choosing which degree to do. I love aviation and everything to do with it, but I can't help thinking that Physics may be a broader and more worthwhile degree to get.

One of the main reasons why I also started rethinking is because if I applied for Physics then I can apply to the best universities inside London (Imperial, UCL, Kings etc) and if I did Aeronautical Engineering the only university in London that really does it is Imperial, and their grade requirements and application-place ratios are very high. Otherwise I'd have to leave london for Surrey, Bath, Bristol, Southampton, Loughborough or the likes. If I went to Physics I can also stay at home, and stay within London, which is my favourite city.

The main question is, if I took Physics, how much would it defer me in terms of a career within the aviation industry? It doesn't have to be just Pilot Training. I understanding that in terms of being a pilot there is no guarantee so what sort of other career within Aviation can I get into, with a Physics degree? And would it be more advantageous?