PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 17th Oct 2009, 02:29
mckpave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(BANG!, SLAP!, CRASH!) Okay FH1100 I give up, your punches have me on the ropes. Geez, a "lurker", now that's really below the belt. But hey, I guess I'd rather be a "lurker" than a "poser".

And just for the record, I never said the information was classified but OPSEC doesn't just apply to classified information, thought you'd know that 'ole buddy.

Well, I'll actually try to give you a bit of insight into your inquiries from before. I realize it won't be good enough for you but I'll give it a shot, here goes:

•Has more testing been done to expand the V-22's flight envelope?
-- You betcha and still continues to this day. Guess you'd like me to provide the actual test reports now right?

•Do they allow abrupt multi-axis control inputs now?
-- Yes and no. Always could do it but have to be smooth and careful. The why has more to do with the fact that it's an FBW system with Flight Control Computers rather than any design deficiency. FCCs try to keep you in coordinated flight in all aircraft like that, they get a wee bit, shall we say, "freaky" if you start messing with that. Just ask Airbus.

•Is the V-22 *not* susceptible to accelerated stall at "moderate" bank angles and load factors anymore?
-- Just like any fixed wing aircraft, accelerated stalls can occur at varying degrees of bank and load, pretty standard airplane stuff there. Get too slow and keep cranking any FW into a bank and sooner or later she'll reach a combination of airspeed and bank angle that stops her from flying. The Osprey actually has some pretty darn low stall speeds, this really is more of a blanket CYA statement than a restriction. It could just as easily read, "If you're stupid and get too slow, then wrap this beastie into a hard bank, she's gonna stop flying!"

•Have they figured out how to *not* get the brakes to damage the tires if the ship the V-22 is parked on rolls more than a measly FIVE DEGREES? (Wow, let's hope *that* never happens!)
-- Haven't heard this one before so you got me there ya 'ole fox!! Me thinks that once again if it were a major issue we'd hear about it on a grander scale. I know it's hard for you to believe but they are very good, (sometimes too much so), at giving us information we need.

•Can the V-22 survive a single-engine failure in a high hover without crashing?
-- As anyone who has flown dual-engined helos knows....it depends. How high, what's the gross weight, density altitude, etc. More importantly, what's your definition of "crashing"? Exceeding gear limitations? There are a ton of twin-engine helos that will "crash" by your definition depending on the conditions. Actually, the higher the hover the better because that gives me altitude to trade for airspeed. Soooooo, I'm gonna answer YES on that one.

•Have they solved the hydraulic problems?
-- What hydraulic problems?

•Any sign of a personnel hoist for litter patients yet?
-- A "hoist for litter patients"?? I'm assuming that you're referring to a stokes litter and a rescue hoist. Why yes indeedy, every Osprey off the line has a shining new hoist installed above the ramp. And once again, (I know you won't believe me without a video), we use it all the time.

•What are the TBO's on the engines now?
-- Same as they've always been. A better question would have been: Have you changed some engines earlier than the TBO? Yeppers, but there are also quite a bunch that "go the distance" too. Sorry, don't have the documents to provide but I'd give it an educated guess and say it's probably even-steven over the entire program.

Okay now go ahead, call me names, tell me I'm wrong, tell me my word ain't worth a without giving you the videos and publications. I really don't care to change your mind, or anyone else's for that matter, just trying to raise my post count so I can fit in.

Oh, and SASless, you're right, other than calling me "mcrave" for the second time now, you've shown a bit more class than the others.....but I still didn't resort to calling you names. You're off the hook.

V/R
The lying, cheating, stealing....but hopefully entertaining......mcpave (damnit, now you got me doing it!!)