PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - first oil rig job
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2009, 01:48
Plakstift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR

Dear Yannis.

You may be able to find an IFR offshore job... not impossible but the question is should you?

I do work in the offshore oil bussiness and I started after 7 years of typical VFR work. Most of my co-workers also have a similar background.

The advantages this background, I beleive, is preferable compared to jump straight into a co-jo seat.

-You will get PIC time which is required to be a captain offshore. (very hard and very long to build PIC time when a co-jo offshore)

-You will learn how to properly fly an helicopter with limited power. (very useful when you fly a large and powerful one.)

-Time flown on a offshore job does little for handling experience. Indeed, there is a minute or so of handling at departure before you are up and cruising and then another minute or so on final approach. VFR has maybe 50% of its time spent handling the aircraft (not level cruise).

The majority of strong offshore pilots, my opinion of course, are from a VFR backgrond.

So Yannis, look for any VFR job and fly 206, astar, 500 or whatever and get 3500hrs or so and then you will find a good offshore job with a quick captain upgrade. It will take you about 4-5 years or so to get 3500hrs and that's fine as their will be plenty of offshore job in the future.

I work for the biggest offshore helicopter operator and the above description is our prefered profile when we hire.

Good luck.

Last edited by Plakstift; 17th Oct 2009 at 02:11.