PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2009, 01:17
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walt,

I think your vid is good, except that on the day of the crash, the cloud base would have been low enough to almost engulf the whole lighthouse, in what is commonly known as "30 kt fog" and this cloud base was perfectly 'legal' for low-level in a helo. Whether the cloud was caused by a 5kt wind or a 30kt wind, it doesn't matter, it was still up-slope stratus that was caused by moist, saturated air being cooled by forced convection - so my basic met tells me.

Anyway, I think we are saying the same thing about the wx, as have many others; that it was not as bad as the Caz and the ROs say (and now confirmed by the MoD)!

To reaffirm; no-one knows whether the ac was IMC either 1-2 nm before the crash site (if so, then the ROs might have a point ) or a few tens of metres just before they hit the cliff. However, the picture painted in words by Mr H suggests it was nearer the latter. That being the case, the crew would have known how close they were to the Mull and very probably they knew what was coming next - but for some unknown reason, they didn't or couldn't take avoiding action.

The trouble is that we will never know the reason why ZD576 did not fly left away from the Mull; and that, to my mind, creates a large element doubt, especially after being allowed a closer inspection of the facts which was denied the original BoI.

Sorry, but I don't quite buy your SF LZ theory (too many SH people have said that it doesn't fit) but I freely admit is not impossible - especially if the ac had a problem and the crew had thought about the LZ for an emergency landing. Anyway, I don't believe that ZD576 had a CPLS-type receiver fitted!

But as I said, we are all guessing.....but also creating doubt. If its any consolation Walt, your LZ theory has more credence than the 'low rate of climb' suggestion that the BOI came up with - SH drivers seem united in their condemnation of that, especially after the first Boeing 'guessimation' was proved a load of codswallop.

flipster