PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 21:40
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N-a-B, surely "rank outsider" given the cost?

Widger; I'd like to think that I'm not one of the light blue "living in denial" but I can't take your point that CVF is "not niche" seriously. I'm on record on here (probably on this thread as much as anywhere else) in saying that if we had the resources to do it, CVF + Dave-C + E-2D + C-2 + CH-53K / V-22 would be ideal, and highly desirable. But only (i) if we can afford a balanced fleet that goes beyond protecting it, and (ii) if it fits in with our overall capability plans and (iii) is affordable on any realistic future budget.

Simply put, as nice as CVF would be to have, and under specific circumstances it could be vital, these circumstances occurring together - critical UK interests at stake, no HNS, no coalition assets (ie USN CVN / CVBG) - is so rare that CVF's unique capabilities are the very definition of niche. Niche, simply because if any one of these circumstances is not there - then we can do the job better, quicker, cheaper (and unless CVF happens to be in the neighbourhood) - faster with other assets.

And I did read Phoenix Squadron last weekend - and I would claim that this absolutely supports the argument - Ark Royal was in approximately the right area, got a priority warning order from 1SL to "show what carriers can do" and did: a mad dash halfway across the Atlantic pair of Buccs over Belize for 10 mins. All very impressive, and a good read. But a massive effort to do what could have been better achieved by tanking 1 Sqn's Harriers direct to Belize City on day one and leaving them there (as 1417 Flt did until 1993). The difference between this and BLACK BUCK was that the Vulcan could drop bigger bombs from higher up to achieve an effect that the Sea Harriers could not (though presumably Lt Cdr Ward has another view).

So, maybe I qualify in your view as light blue "living in denial". But however cool, interesting and capable, niche is still niche. And currently, we ain't got the dosh for niche.

S41