PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth ailerons
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2002, 07:58
Bart Bandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there Tiger driver. If you get to fly other types of the same vintage and class you'll get the same effect. I apologise if I'm wrong but I guess you have learned to fly on modern all metal aeroplanes within the last twenty years or so. I'm rather surprised your instructor didn' t explain about the causes of the handling quirk. Its known as adverse yaw effect.Try and get your hands on a Hornet Moth, a true gentlemans aerial conveyance.
Just as a bit of anorak trivia when you do your walk round you may well notice that more grease has oozed out of the middle aileron hinge than the other two. Dh designed the Tiger for the private market with two aileron hinges but when the RAF ordered it as a trainer their 'experts' decreed that the ailerons were not secure enough and insisted that a third hinge be added so Dh put one more in the middle.Rather than mess about all civlian models were then built the same way.The centre hinge always wears out faster than the others 'cos it doesn't need to be there !
Does your aeroplane have anti spin strakes in front of the tailplane?It probably does, more useless trivia to follow.