PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you a stewardess or a flight attendant? Young or aged? Discuss the article below
Old 16th Oct 2009, 19:05
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

"Maybe he would like to tell me what he would do if all of a sudden he had a fire/smoke while at 25,000ft on his 6am AMS flight..."

If I may... :

Tighten seat belt, sit and wait for the subsequent evacuation, I suppose. Very little in fact. It certainly wouldn't be to use oxygen. What did you have in mind that he should do?

I'd be doing same as him: count the rows to the nearest exit and wait to use it.
G-ZUZZ, I honestly cannot understand if you are being serious, if you are unaware of the danger and the severity/urgency of such an occasion or if you didn't understand what I said that for. I was replying to Need To Know after his comment (please read his comment in full and you may understand what I meant! He NEEDS the crew, were he likes it or not, for more than just to make him smile, and exits aren't the only important safety thing on the plane!)

If you found yourself at 25,000ft on the way to AMS and a fire/smoke broke in the cabin, chances are that if nothing is done about it by the crew you just won't make it to AMS at all! Smoke is a killer,and the time for action isn't a lot!
The pilots may know or may NOT know that this is happening and need:
a) the cabin crew/stewardesses/flight attendants/dinner ladies etc to inform them AND,
b)the above cabin crew/stewardesses/flight attendants/dinner ladies to identify,tackle and estinguish the fire/smoke
while they make plans to divert/land as soon as possible. All of the above needs to happen before you can get off by the exit that is xyz rows in front of or behind your seat!

Try to put your head in an oven with a burning cake in it and tell me how long you can breathe before giving up.

I NEVER talked about oxygen masks!!!

Last edited by flybywire; 16th Oct 2009 at 19:41.