PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 16:57
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I am intrigued by this view that Queen Elizabeth will be a "niche" capability. Don't just focus on the warfighting role. QE will not just carry F35, but will have the ability to operate a wide variety of other platforms including Chinook, which for the first time will be able to fit in the hangar and possibly even fit CH53. QE will not only be able to Strike, but can also poise for long periods of time, without HNS. QE will have significant capability in the NEO role and also Military aid to the civil population worldwide. QE will also be able to carry out the task of Defence Diplomacy. Much humour is made of the ubiquitous cocktail party but, importantly, QE will be a hunk of sovereign UK territory that can also be used for peaceful purposes, defence sales and strengthen international ties. QE moored up in a foreign port, will not only be a great run-ashore for the crew but more importantly, quite clearly demonstrates that the UK is still important in the world. Whilst alongside, the crew don't just get pissed and play golf, they also support the local Embassies and Consuls in their work, conduct charity work and strengthen links with friendly nations. I am not slagging off Typhoon, but how many of these tasks can that platform conduct? I choose Typhoon because there is a well known Ppruner who insists on placing the "niche" label firmly on QE.

Queen Elizabeth and POW will not be NICHE by any stretch of the imagination. Even without F35 onboard they will be a powerful statement of UK strength and diplomacy and for those in the know, fulfill a large proportion of DSG and Military tasks.

Have a safe weekend