PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa MD-11 Mexico City
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 09:56
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And always the same three or four people
Mocking the authors doesn't make the design flaw go away.

Feedback is a integral part of human's interface. Taking it away for pilots displays a lack of understanding of human basics.

Just an add on: The initial set up on the MD11 was never as screwed up as it ended. Due to a lot of handling problems of pilots (yes, even the first generation had its problems ....) the engineers started implementing many inhibitors and limitors on pilot inputs, especially during the landing phase. This works in the same misguided way as a no-feedback on the bus and starts getting widespread throughout all manufacturors. It takes away the "real feel/feedback/correction possibility" of the pilots and hands it over to computers.

Personally I think that the fix is either in a less flawed design of the aircraft, or in much better training of pilots. But cutting down on the latter and implementing even more automatics, inhibitions etc. etc. goes the wrong (cheaper) way. Even more when in almost every mishap the pilots are then still finally blamed.

(I liked your analogy to the Farm. Pigs were evidently never designed to walk upright. Computers initially to help humans, but evidently not to overrule them. Both trials are bound to faiurel in my oppinion)