PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Tomahawk or Cessna Skyhawk?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 09:54
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomahawks you either love them or hate them.

The "nah there horrible and ****e" people do have points.

They do leak water and if not looked after stink of mildew. A 400quid cover sorts this out.
The trimmer is a pain in the bum especially if the clutch is a bit dodgy.

But after 800 odd hours in them they are still my favourite aircraft to teach in.

They stall properly, none of your cessna wafting down with a deranged duck nonsense. Buffet, followed by a positive nose drop. Wing dropping, yes they do if you don't do what your meant to and keep the controls centralised. Hang on isn't that what your meant to be learning anyway. But if you recover from the stall as your meant to and not hang in space fannying around with the rudder. (There are numerous safety coms about not doing this due to the number of accidents in all types). It really isn't an issue.

The handling is reasonably sporty compared to others in the same class.

Lots of shoulder room in the cockpit.

Brillant viz.

Mechanical Flaps.

Main Gear is very very forgiving. Nose wheel still needs protecting but if you keep it out of the way they soak up alot of punishment.

It was designed as a trainer, it was designed not to be a touring aircraft. It was designed to bite as an aircraft should do. It was designed to show bad technique. It was designed to be a learning environment to impart the skills required for the rest of your flying career.

Personally I think it does the job exceptionally well.

Now learning to fly and Glass. WHY WHY do you need it?

Your attention should be 95%+ outside flying by attitudes looking out the window. Having a whole load of fancy avionics inside isn't going to help the learning curve of looking out the window and flying accurately using the horizon.

Glass is great for IFR work. It doesn't really add to much to the looking out the window experience in my view.

The conversion onto other types (the C172 was the other club machine) was a really none event. Usually an hour max but because G-BCYR was such a bitch to land (it was the partially sighted leading the blind on that one) some had another hour in the circuit by request.