PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Fair Work Act and Qantaslink
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 08:12
Fonz121

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
The Fair Work Act and Qantaslink

Sorry if this has been brought up already, and if it has feel free to point me in the direction (search came up with nothing).

What Im wanting to know is whether or not gaining employment with Qantaslink is going to rule out any other opportunities within the Qantas group due to the Fair Work Act that was introduced this year.

Pilots I know in Qantaslink seem to think its put a stop to any chance of moving on to Jetstar or mainline and from what I understand its due to the fact that you can't be re-employed by the same company within a three month period and go onto a lower wage. Obviously an inadvertent flaw in the law which is meant to protect employees rights.

Now this is just what I have heard down the line so Im trying to establish whether or not this is true. I had a crack at reading the Fair Work Act 2009 but gave up after 30 mins as it is over 600 pages long.
So if anyone in the know can enlighten me as to what the actual case is with this then I would be very grateful.

Surely if this is in fact the case then people might be thinking twice about going to QL if its set in stone that you cannot progress. I know that progression from QL to J* and QF has always been a murky issue but at least there was a slimmer of hope. If you're the type who hopes to fly a jet one day then you would be cutting off a lot of your options.