PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Link in Crisis again....now its for Captains!
Old 15th Oct 2009, 23:16
UDH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We don't get extra time off rostered. We just get given more reserve days. It usually ends up being a day off so it's kinda ideal.

Maloo
Maloo,
You maybe suffering from head trauma, or is it the naivety of youth? A reserve/standby day is NOT a day off nor is it ideal. Many aviation professionals have a life that involves more than just themselves and their over inflated ego’s. Rostered days of grey do not allow for family’s to make concrete plans in advance nor does Mr Childcare facility accept a request for a position to be permanently made available, in case my employer wants me to work as they can’t make up there mind what is going on. A few days here and there on reserve is an accepted part of the job in order for schedule coverage, beyond this is just pure rostering incompetence. "I am not as indecisive as I once was.. Maybe I am.. Oh I’m not sure now.. Let’s just put them all on reserve". Or is it that we can do it so we will, which makes it worse, draconian management pratice “sir the peasants are revolting”. As we head down a path where the company would love to have 300 casual tech crew I am comforted to know that this is ideal for you.

So Maloo, as you lie there in bed of a night gazing at your freshly polished epaulettes’ (still enclosed in the plastic wrapper), I can almost hear the Coxswain’s words drifting through your head “stroke, stroke, stroke…….”