PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2009, 22:47
regle

To Jimgriff with love...

If you look up my thread No.270 on page 14 you will see that I was actually billeted, with the rest of 'B' Flight, in the Marine hotel . In a beautiful position, right on the Sea front, turn right out, after coming down the steps and keep right on at a brisk pace for the morning trot up Constitution Hill which was an euphemism for Heart Attack Mountain. ! We had a long stay in lovely Aber which is described in that previous thread. I vaguely remember some of us drawing on the walls as there was a very good artist amongst us but, unfortunately, I don't recall his name but he did draw aircraft to help with the "Aircraft Recognition course" which consisted of silhouettes of British and German aircraft of that period being flashed for a split second on a screen and we had to quickly jot down it's name . It would certainly be whilst iIwas there as the aircraft you have shown were of that period i;e A Stirling and what looks like a "Wimpy" that has well and truly partaken of the hamburger loving character, in the "Daily Mirror", J.Wellington Wimpy, that it was fondly nicknamed after.
I have often thought of going back there for "Auld Lang Syne" but have not done so. I think that the axiom "Never go back" is fairly correct. Anyway, "Thanks for the memories." Reg