PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2009, 21:21
GearDownFlaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I am routinely converting current ppl, teaching new ppls and taking people for trial flights , in a 20 not a 22 but the layout is the same and the performance is not significantly lower .
For group purposes all current members need a minimum of 6 hours conversion to type some take longer some dont .
I generally find that those who fly regularly and challenge themselves in their flying , rather than just local area once a month take to it a lot quicker , those that dont , struggle . Specifically with the increase in speed in all aspects of flight , but more so in the circuit .
The avionics I find most people get to grips with quite quickly as the avidyne system is relative childs play when compared to say a G1000, it certainly isnt possible to get lost as it is in the Garmin. There are afew gotchas within the aircraft but it certainly isnt beyind the bounds of most competent ppls to fly become reasonably accomplished .
The biggest issue I have found as i said is the speed and we limit ours to 120kts to maintain the cheap hourly rate .
It takes most of them a good while to get ahead of the aircraft some are just happy with their local trips , and in some cases thank the lord .
But in over four hundred hours since new , including a first solo of a newbie ppl we have yet to have any incident with the aircraft ,touch wood .
The Ap can be a bit unusual at times especially in a prolonged climb but monitor monitor monitor is battered into them when converting , if it misbehaves disconnect reset and continue to monitor and you should be fine .
But as stated earlier it is designed as a touring aircraft to be flown automatically , and it certainly isnt the easiest aircarft to fly hands on , but everyhting comes with practice.
Nice craft to be a teacher in I must say