PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair TR Funding
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2009, 21:08
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
I think you all miss the point. Why does Ryanair need to be your first job?
I have a friend at Ryanair, he's happy for the time being. He joined as a direct entry Captain.

Do you think our bizjet jobs are our first jobs? Heavens no.
Instructing, charter, freight, regional airlines etc were our stepping stones. Both of us have moved continents to seek better jobs.
It's my 6th job.
BTW, bizjets have employed low houred guys, but you have to know where to look.

Do you think we don't know exactly how you feel?
Wondering when someone will say yes?
We know exactly what it's like. It's painful and something I don't want to go through again. Been through it too many times.
It's frustrating like hell but low houred guys deserve a better deal than the one Ryanair demands from you.
Desperation is not a good bargaining chip.

Many of you are in a Catch 22. You've paid over the odds for your CPL/IR and so now you've priced yourselves out of the turboprop & instructing market.
That's very unfortunate.

As for those who feel that the airlines etc shouldn't have to pay for the type rating. Why shouldn't they?
With many new aircraft a certain amount of type ratings are thrown in for FREE from the manufacturer. Also, the airlines get the sim etc at cost price.
You have to pay for the instructor etc, with the airline, the instructor is already paid.

Also, the airlines and in fact all companies of a certain size have to demonstrate that they invest in employee training and enhancement to get subsidies/tax breaks.

Qantaslink in Australia started charging for Dash 8 type ratings. The applications dried up over night. They have now gone back to paying for the type rating & paying the pilots to train.

What sort of employer would you prefer?

If you can get the money without risking your house, your parents house and so forth, fine, just don't go broke "living the dream"...
Good luck