PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Total noob wants advice before spending £££
Old 15th Oct 2009, 20:39
andy525

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total noob wants advice before spending £££

I always wanted to be a pilot. I have pushed at the RAF door for a long time but their selection process is flawed as both times I have made it to OASC I have narrowly missed out aptitude wise.

So I am now considering commercial flying. I have already read some horror stories on these forums so I am very wary - however, the overiding message seems to be if you don't care what you fly or where you fly, there are jobs to be had. I think that's me.

First I would like a general clue-up if anyone would be kind enough to oblige. I have no idea when it comes to the myriad of ratings/qualifications that are out there beyond NPPL, PPL, CPL and ATPL I am lost. Presumeably there is a heirachy, with type-specific training and night training/instrument training required at each stage? What would be the ideal career structure to aim for?

Secondly, how much can I expect to earn at each stage? What is a typical salary for a tug pilot/instructor/1st officer/captain? I gather BA pay substantially more than the likes of easyjet but only take the more experienced pilots? Is it better to fly for a freight airline, passenger airline or executive transport? Also, how long does it take (typically) to progress up the ranks? Is it generally a loooong time before one can afford to pay off training debts (+university debts!) or is it bearable?

I have already applied for a couple of scholorship programmes - CTC Wings and FTE. CTC already wrote back inviting me to attend aptitude testing/interview, but want me to pay £184 for the pleasure! Is this typical? Are there any better scholorship programmes I should be applying to instead? Is there anything else you think I should know?

If anyone can answer these questions then I am eternally grateful.