PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton issues warning to Easyjet
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2001, 15:59
OLNEY 1 BRAVO

Unhappy

My first posting after looking at this site for over two years.

I don't work at Luton, but have very many friends who do - either with the airlines, with the airport or NATS.

I can understand the frustration of those crews who use Luton - facilities are far from ideal, but much of what LTN MAN says is true.

What hasn't been said is that as one of the junior shareholders, TBI were frequently out voted at Board meetings by Barclays and thus a lot of what could have happened, didn't.

If you read some of TBI's recent press releases, and in particular their official declaration to The Stock Exchange when they bought most of Barclay's shares, they have made it quite clear that many of their views were previously not accepted and that they now intend to put their professional stamp on Luton.

Since TBI "took over" they have been conducting an extensive audit (for want of a better expression)from which I believe a sensible plan will flow. Given that TBI are experienced in the running of airports, which Barclays were not, it is to be hoped that some good will come of it.

I understand that the one of the first changes to be made will be the moving of the airside road to the front of the stands - something the staff had suggested to management even before Barclays got involved. Sadly this shows the lack of management experience which in still there, particularly in the operational areas.

Re the Old Control Tower, I understand it is a Grade 2 Listed Building so demolition isn't that easy.

There are some good people at Luton and with TBI now firmly in control I hope that they now channel their expertise and investment into the right areas whilst getting rid of the "dead wood" in management.

The airport and easyJet need each other - let's hope it stays that way!