PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Learned About Flying From That (ILAFFT)
Old 13th Jun 2002, 00:00
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done many dumb things in my time, but I can't think of any quite as good as this one, which is true. Someone please correct me if any of the facts have become distorted in the mists of time ........ about 3 or so years!

'Bill' (name changed to protect the guilty ) an experienced freelance and TA pilot was hired to collect a B206 from a private house, pick up the owner from somewhere else, and take him back home. Everyone was away but, no problem, just take the helicopter from the paddock etc.
Bill arrived. The B206 looked in better nick than some he'd flown. Obviously well-maintained. A quick walk-round, and off we go.
Bill climbed in, the 206 heli started without a problem. Sweet! It wasn't always like that. All going to plan so far. But, what's that?! A rather strange noise, like nothing he'd heard before. Should he lift? Running a bit late, damn traffic! Gettign light on the skids. No, it doesn't feel right. That would be silly. Best to shut down, and have a look. But what he was expected to do without an engineer on hand? Oh well, this just doesn't sound right anyway, I'll call the owner and explain.
As he walked from the JetRanger, something caught his eye - and all became very embarrassingly clear. What Bill discovered later was that the owner had a friend who also owned a B206. He needed to use his helicopter for an important trip earlier that week but sh*t, it wouid happen now, the b****y thing's u/s. 'I know', the friend thought to himself, 'brilliant! Why didn't I think of it before? George is away on holiday for the week. He won't mind. I'll borrow his tail-rotor!" The moral of the story is .......... obvious!